Start a new topic

Seeing an Amber reading when not expecting it

Since I am so new to this I am hoping someone can shed some light on this for me. Friday morning my HRV was 85, resting heart rate of 59 and readiness score of 10. Friday evening I was green so I followed my scheduled programming and workout hitting everything thing the was I was suppose to. There was no tapering or holding back, it's a matter of fact that I added to my regular workout and did quite a bit more. Saturday morning HRV was 80, heart rate 66, readiness level of 10 and I was green, which seemed to be a normal reading. I did nothing but completely rest all of Saturday. Sunday morning my HRV was 77, heart rate 64, readiness score 8 and I am amber. Sunday is also a scheduled day off. 

My question is it normal for my readiness to go down after a day of full rest even when on the day of rest I was seemingly good to hit it hard again? I am under no stress what so ever, I had good sleep too and I have been off of work since Thursday, so other stress factors to speak of. Does the body have a delayed response to stress, kind of like how muscle soreness can come on two days later rather then the day after? 

"My question is it normal for my readiness to go down after a day of full rest even when on the day of rest I was seemingly good to hit it hard again?"

Yes.  But it would also be normal for it to go up or stay the same.  Depends on a lot of factors that come down to the individual athlete.

"Does the body have a delayed response to stress, kind of like how muscle soreness can come on two days later rather then the day after?"

Yes.  In fact that's kinda the point of the readiness score.  That score takes into account changes in HRV on the preceding days.  I'm sure Joel's book states somewhere that all stress is cumulative.

Thanks for response Chris! I have read the book and I am in the process of reading it again. The first time I went through the book I was distracted a lot with family being in town. 

I have another question to ask. If I take 3 or more days off and completely rest my resting heart rate is around 54. During training training weeks my heart rate usually goes between 55-56 to around 65. I usually take the average of these and try to wait to start the test when my heart rate comes down to around 60. Is this the correct thing to do? I have a few times taken the test and once finished looked at my heart rate and seen it was a little high, which put me into amber, so then I take the test again. After taking it the second time I have always found that my resting heart rate drops to around 60 or below, which to me is more normal and I am now in the green. Is that the correct thing to do? How long should I be waiting for my heart rate to come down, or should I really just be waiting for it to stabilize at what ever number that comes too even if its above normal? I have only taken the test two times in a row a few times and usually when I do I go with the second reading because it is closer to normal. Is that the wrong thing to do? I know Joel says that usually the first reading is the most accurate.

Some people find the testing activity itself frustrating.  I think the idea with just one test is to avoid stress from the test itself lowering your HRV artificially.  I take a minute lying down before starting the test, figuring that I've reached my RHR.  But maybe I should think about lying there fore 2 minutes just to be sure.

I actually am much more relaxed after the first test and that is why I sometimes take a second. By the second test my RR is much lower after tying still for a few minutes. In the future I am thinking of just starting the test after I lay there for a few minutes to try and get that RR down. 

Were I you, Scott, I'd definitely start the measurement after a couple minutes then.

I have fond that reading go up and down during a several day taper but generally upwards. As said above there can also be anomalous readings

Login to post a comment