I have regular problems both getting the HR strap to connect to the receiver and show a normal regular heart rate. It often requires several minutes of fiddling with the strap and receiver to establish a proper connection. I thoroughly wet the electrodes and have replaced the battery to no avail. Anyone else having this issue? I did not have any of these issues with version 1 of the software.
Alex, this may not apply to you but I have an ANDROID version and I find I CANNOT get it to work with an earphone plugged into the adapter. I unplug it and it works perfect, except I cant hear the GONG, so I have to keep looking at the timer.
If this doesn't help you, well maybe it will help someone else later. Good luck.
I just upgraded my iPhone 4 to iOS 7.0.6 and I'm having problems with my BioForce. It seems it cannot connect to the receiver any longer . I changed my hr monitor battery 1 month ago, so I guess that's not the problem. Any help?
I solved the problem. It was the hr monitor battery again. Now I have to understand if the previous battery wasn't good and it lasted only one month, or, as the technician said, there is some problem with the electrical part of my hr monitor that reduces the charge very quickly.
I am having the same issue using an Andriod phone, but I have only had 1 version of the software since I have only been using it for 2 months now. In the first couple of days I had absolutely no problems at all, but as time went on its becoming increasingly harder to get the thing to read my heart rate. I have changed the battery twice in my chest strap so I know that's not it, because it doesn't even temporarily get better after changing it. My phone seems to connect with no problems, but shortly after connecting it gives me an error of device is incompatible. The only solution I have found so far is to fidget with how the Cardiosport device snaps into the chest strap. I think I was sent a faulty chest strap from the get go, which is disappointing because that was part of the package I paid for!